A Swift Kick in the Can

As I pulled back the aluminum tab a splash of black liquid filled the rim of the can and I smelled aromas of expresso and alcohol. Still hungover from a three day binge in Las Vegas I started to second guess my decision to drink beer today (especially this beer). Alas, the seal had been broken, so there would be no turning back...

Oskar Blues Ten FIDY pours out of the can like motor oil; viscus, opaque and heavy. The beer is jet-black and has a deep toffy brown head. The flavors are rich and delicious with all of the usual Imperial Stout suspects present; roasted coffee beans, dark cocoa, vanila, and roasted malts. What surprised me most though, was what wasn't present. The beer didn't have any of the harshness or heat that I expected from this 10.5 % ABV monster. Oskar Blues' Ten Fidy gets a 3/3rds full Pint Glass rating!


This beer is damn tasty, but what I liked most wasn't the flavor but the packaging. I love that they chose to put this beer in a can. Cans have a bad reputation and it's entirely unjustified. Cans block out harmful sunlight. They seal the beer with less air contact, and they're easier to recycle than bottles. They're lighter and less costly to ship (less costly to producers and less costly to the environment!).


Expect to see more and more quality beers packaged in cans as consumers get over the negative misconceptions and start to understand the the value (much the way people warmed to the idea of Stelvin enclosures or 'Screw Cap' being used for quality wines).

-Prost!
D.Lux

No comments:

Post a Comment