'tis the Season for a Saison!

You may say I'm biased and well, you may be right...


The fact is, I have a bit of a thing for the Ommegang Brewery. Every time I try one of their beers I expect that I'll like it, and the funny thing is, I usually do.


Their Saison style ale, Hennepin, pours a lovely bright golden wheat color. It bursts with tiny bubbles that stir up a rich white head like freshly whipped milk.


The aromas that first reach the nose are of citrus, honeydew melon, peaches and pears. Secondary aromas of white grape, sun-dried apricots, and yogurt come through later as the swirling carbonation unlocks its full profile in my tulip-shaped glass-boy is this one tasty!

There's a bready/yeasty backbone like that of a well made Champagne that gives structure to the mouthfeel and the sweet fruit flavors are balanced by a slightly sour mash that make for an exceptionally well balanced final product. The last thing I catch as I savor the last few sips are subtle notes of vanilla.

Definitely give this one try and if you like it, be sure to check out their Abby Ale!

-Prost!
D.Lux

3 comments:

  1. D.Lux,

    Hennepin is one of my all-time favorite saisons. Big notes of citrusy hops complimented by coriander and peppery spices, with a dry malt aftertaste. As this beer is crisp and refreshing, and the alcohol content of nearly 8% isn’t too noticeable, Hennepin is perfect for this time of year.

    Cheers,

    Bill Z.
    http://www.billysbeerblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love their Hennepin. One of my favorite things about it, is how dry it finishes. It is basically like it needs you to drink more of it.

    Also, try their Ommegeddon, their Farmhouse ale. If you haven't had it, it is definitely worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the suggestion Jay, I will definitely seek out that out! I've loved everything I've had from these guys and I'm sure I'll love that too!

    P.S. If you haven't already stopped by our Facebook page, be sure to come visit us there too! http://www.Facebook.com/BrewDorkTimes

    -Prost!

    ReplyDelete