Home sweet home...

Less than a five-days removed from my week-long vacation and it already feels a million miles away... Dorothy really hit the nail on the head when she said:


Maine may claim to be "Vacationland" and "the way life should be" but for me it is (and always will be) home-sweet-home.

I was born and raised near Bangor, and although I haven't lived there in over 10-years (a third of my life!) I still feel undeniably at home in the union's north-eastern most (and only single-syllable) state.

As my vacation neared I made big mental plans of touring Maine's breweries... taking the craft beer scene by storm. When I actually arrived it became immediately evident that it was far more excited about spending time with her:


and her:


and these two:


Oh yeah, and these two as well....


Now I didn't completely neglect my responsibilities as a "brew dork." I enjoyed a delicious vanilla-infused stout by Portland brewing company.


It was delicious and certainly not the only brew I enjoyed chez-moi.


Along with some others (not photographed) I also very much enjoyed a delicious bitter.

On a trip to the coast I stumbled upon a car that is most certainly captained by the Brew Dork Times Doppelganger of the Northeast...


If there was any confusion about which "brew" the license plate referred to (beer? coffee? something else??) the contents of the back seat more than put the debate to rest!


The crowning (beer) achievement of my trip home however was my visit to the Allegash Brewery! Allegash is known nation-wide for it's high-caliber Belgian-style beers. Although it's a long drive from Bangor to Portland I knew that my trip home would not be complete without making the trek south to pay homage to a brewery that pursues perfection unceasingly and delivers some of the best beer available not just in Maine, but anywhere in our beautiful nation!

I was so happy with my visit to Allegash Brewery I decided that it gets it's own post. Check it out here.

I had a wonderful time at home Mom and Dad (also, it was great to see you too Erik, Jim, and Garrett). Looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Prost!
-D.Lux

4 comments:

  1. Guess what beer I had with my lobster roll at Union River Lobster Pot in Ellsworth last night......Allagash White, delish! Thanks for all the beer tutoring, nice having my own brew dork, too bad he's on the opposite coast...
    Hey I posted something : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    What's wrong with Mom's scooter and motorcycle? I had the Bar Harbor Real Ale. Nobody ate a three pound lobster though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha-ha.. Mom's scooter and motorcycle are pretty awesome too! Wish I could have been there to enjoy a delicious lobster with you :)

    ReplyDelete