Canada eh!?

As I said in a previous post, I'm London-bound!

What I didn't know when I posted that I'd be living in the UK for a month was that I'd be spending a night in Toronto on the way. My trip to 'the most culturally diverse metropolitan area in North America' was SHORT (less than 24 hours from Pearson Int'l-to-Pearson Int'l) but you better believe I found time to sample a local beer!

Actually, as I arrived late, and to be at work early the next morning I had just 'a' local beer (I know, I know, how un-committed of me :-/ ).


Regardless, the one local beer I tried was Rickard's Red. It's Canada's number one selling 'red' ale, it's been brewed for 25 years, and it's thoroughly unimpressive :-( :-(

It's sweet... unpleasantly so. It has a Cheery Doctor Pepper, or Cheery Cola taste to it. The carbonation falls flat, the lacing on the head is mediocre, and it doesn't taste fresh (and I have to imagine it was about as fresh as Rickard's Reds come). There was no hint of hops, barley, or bready-yeast. No depth = bad beer!

Canada may not be renoned for it's fantastic beer production, but as a country that consumes massive amounts of the beverage, I have to say I felt let down. Oh well, you can't win them all. I guess I'll just have to hope for better brews in London!

-Prost!
D. Lux

No comments:

Post a Comment