Summer of beer

Some people like Hefeweisen, some prefer an ice cold pilsner. For me, nothing says summer better than a delicious Pale Ale.

I recently cracked two new Pale Ales, and as I expected I would, enjoyed both thoroughly!


The first PA I had was Fire Rock Pale Ale by Kona Brewing company of Kona, Hawai'i. This beer had big round hops (are you sure this isn't an IPA?) and a nice soft orange blossom aroma. The color was a nice amber, burnt-orange peel color and the head was rich and frothy. Between the high hop kick, and 6% ABV punching power, it isn't necessarly a beer you want to be tossing back poolside, but it is certainly a nice heavy but-not-too-heavy summer option.

The second PA I had was Red Chair NWPA from Deschutes Brewery of Bend, OR. Similar to the Kona, the North West Pale Ale was light in color and more orange than red. The hops were much less subdued. Whereas the Fire Rock came off as a toned down IPA, the Red Chair was more of a suped-up Pilsner. With lower hops, and smoother flavor, this was definitely a better poolside BBQ option!

The both get 2/3's Pint Glass ratings from me.

Prost!
-DLux

No comments:

Post a Comment