Raspberry Purée

Sometimes my memory serves me well, sometimes it does not. Today's post unfortunately, is a story of the latter.
In my defense, the last time I tried this beer I was in college. My palate was young and I was only starting to learn that not all beer was fizzy and yellow.

When I tried Abita Purple Haze in college I was very impressed. I remember thinking it was “wow, this is a great-lightly sweet easy-drinking wheat beer.”

When I tried this beer recently I thought "this is an overly sweet beer that almost makes me cringe." It was not lightly sweet, it was not delicately nuanced, and it did not have "hints" of anything. It was a over-ripe, over sweet, out of balance wheat beer.


Before you jump to any conclusions or assume I didn't like this beer simply because it isn't anything like so of the beers that I give high ratings to please understand that I like all different types of beer (variety is the spice of life!) Although fruit beers (or wheat beers for that matter) are not at the top of my list of favorites styles, I can certainly appreciate when a beer is well-produced, true-to-style, complex, and balanced (like THIS fruit beer.) Abita dropped the ball with this beer unfortunately, and that has nothing to do with it's style.

I'll leave you, with a musical number... Sing-along but be sure to substitute "Purée" for "beret"


Raspberry Beret - Prince by abelflexes

Prost!
-D.Lux

No comments:

Post a Comment