From the makers of an excessively conceited child born out of wedlock

From the makers of Arrogant Bastard comes a beer designed to celebrate (inside and out) the 13th anniversary of...

Bottleworks! That's right, Bottleworks of Wallingford is celebrating 13-years in business this month and (as they do each year) they've teamed up with a brewery to create a special beer commemorate the milestone.

Here's a look at the making behind this years brew:



Did they say they used 13-grains and 13 hops?!?

Oh yes they did.  Now, before I get into my review of this beer I want to first say a little bit about Stone's style for those who aren't already familiar with the brewery (there are probably a few people who don't know about them right?)

Stone’s beers are kind of like the Circus freaks of the craft beer world. Before you get all worked up and mount your defense of Stone, understand that this is not an insult (there are plenty of very decent individuals that call themselves circus freaks.) What I I mean is that if you were dating one of Stone’s beers, you’d be a more than a little bit hesitant about introducing it to your parents. Actually, in using this analogy, I’m sure this guy would prefer to think of his beers as the “bad asses of the craft beer world” but I’m sticking with circus freaks.


Unfortunately, after tasting this beer, it’s clear this isn’t one of the “cool” circus freaks, like the siamese catortionist, or the guy that swallows swords... this beer is the bearded lady, frightening, abrasive, and all around unpleasant. Stone will swing at any pitch, so they’re bound to miss from time to time. Unfortunately this one was a big-time wiff.*

I give it a 1/3rds full pints glass, and I'm being generous... **

Prost!
-D.Lux

*I haven’t laid a bottle down. It’s possible that with some aging, this beer well melow out and become quite enjoyable, but with all the great beers out there, I don’t think I’m going to spend the time or effort. 

**I really love Stone's beers and I can't overstate their contribution to the Craft beer revolution. A couple of years ago I had the pleasure of touring their brewery in Encinitas, California with Mark "the Brewstraveller" Sullivan. You can read about our trip to Stone (and at least a half dozen more Southern Californian breweries, on Marks website here.

Enjoying a beer with Stone co-founder Greg Koch at Papago Brewery in Scottsdale, AZ
PS: For the beer-nerds and the home brewers here's the run down  of the ingredients used in this hulk of a beer.

Grains:
  1. Pale 2-R
  2. White Wheat
  3. Aromatic
  4. Weyermann Chocolate Rye
  5. Light Munich
  6. Brown Crisp
  7. Oats
  8. Crisp Light Crystal
  9. Caramunich
  10. Baird's Chocolate
  11. Lightly Peated
  12. Simpsons Dark Crystal
  13. Crisp Amber
Hops:
  1. Bravo
  2. Target
  3. Columbus
  4. Cascade
  5. Delta
  6. Warrior
  7. Magnum
  8. Apollo
  9. Calypso
  10. Perle
  11. Galena • Chinook • Mt. Hood 
  12.  

No comments:

Post a Comment